Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Graduation

EEK!  What an exciting week!  We are counting down the days!  2 MORE DAYS and Katie will officially be graduating kindergarten!

What an amazing amount of knowledge we have gained this past year.  Not only educational knowledge, but patience for each other.  
My sister, Kelly Fortune, told me a long time ago that homeschool is both generations learning.  What a true statement that has proven to be!  

Every week for 35 weeks, we have learned of a new letter sound, animal, and animal story to correlate for our Word Building subject of class. What I love about this curriculum is that the story comes alive for Katie!  The fictional stories make us feel like we are a part of their lives.  Not only are they cool animals, but they relate with Katie through similar life experiences.  This week, all the animals have met together in one story to form one class for graduation.  This has been particularly exciting for Katie because the animals otherwise have never met each other!  One of the greatest joy I have is to see her excel and genuinely enjoy school!  

In the beginning of our journey, I tested Katie to find a starting level.  Her score was over 80% which meant she could start at the more advanced level.  I couldn't get past knowing there was still that less than 20% she did not understand.  I had a decision to face: to start her with the basics or to advance and risk the 20%.  We chose basic.   

Last night, we decided to take the training wheels off her bike.  Most kids at age 6 can ride a bike with ease so I felt it was time for her to try.  I watched her fall, cry, struggle, and want to give up.  I found myself pushing her to the point of tiring,  wanting her to succeed.  No doubt, there is a valuable lesson to be learned in patience and endurance by persistently trying without giving up.  On the other hand, her feeling like a failure did not leave her any more wise or successful.  I felt as if I was more the unwise one by comparing her with typical 6 year olds.  I couldn't help but remember the decision I was faced with last year.  I pondered; if I would have started her at a more advanced curriculum, would that be everyday life for her?  Struggling?  

I would recommend any parent to stop comparing their children with other children.  It's setting yourself and your child up for potential failure.  Instead, enjoy every moment of advancement no matter how large or tiny it may seem!  


And YAY for Miss Katie's advancement!  



....but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. Corinthians 10:12




No comments:

Post a Comment