Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I began this journey as a mom at age 23, when I was unwed, fresh out of jail, 2 months sober of a meth drug addiction, and reunited with my high school sweetheart.  Jeramey had taken the leap and moved from North Carolina to Texas to help me get better and get my life on track.

Jeramey and I met in the summer of 8th grade at the young age of 14.  We had an innocent love for each other.  Being the young foolish children we were, we ended our relationship and moved on.  Imagine my excitement when I found him all these years later and decided to contact him.  We immediately decided to meet!  He flew me into Georgia, picked me up, and I spent a week with him sobering up.  We loaded all we could fit in his blue pickup and headed back to Texas.  That's when life truly began for me.  2 months later, I found out I was pregnant with Miss Katie Lynn. 

You would think we would appreciate each other after all those years!  Wrong!  When Katie was 3, we decided to split.  I moved on with another man.  This seemed the simple solution to our problems, moving on is always easier than improving one's character.  Jeramey had become more out of control with his drinking so going back was not an option.  One night, Jeramey prayed and asked God to change him.  From that day forward,  he never drank a drop of alcohol.  The overnight transformation of Jeramey left me dumbfounded and I soon ran back home!  We got married months later and here we are today, headed down the narrow path!  

When Katie turned 5, I decided public school was not the road we would take. Her father and I being raised by public schools both took terrible destructive paths.  Knowing that, we weren't going to roll the dice and chance that she would be the small percent that turned out to be a leader or above the influence.   I enrolled her in a local private christian school with over the top recommendations.  When touring the campus, everyone was lovely.  They all obeyed the dress code and wore the cute little modest uniforms. Talking with people familiar with this private school, they all agreed that the children had an innocence like no other children.  Everything seemed to be wonderful and I was satisfied.  Until I was invited to awards ceremony!  It was a free dress day and party day so the kids could express themselves with any clothing they chose.  Noticing that almost none of the children had any sort of modesty,  I was concerned.  The more I stood and observed the children and parent's gestures, body language, language...etc...the more I realized that there would be no safe place for her to learn values.  Romans 8:5  "Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires."  

Sure, this place taught these values, but why weren't they penetrating the hearts and the minds of these children?  My world began to cave in!  I cried out to God and said, "God, there is no place better than this school!  Not me!  I can't teach her!  I dropped out of school and got my GED!  I am not smart enough.  Lord, send someone to teach her!"  It seemed my heart was crying out to change what The Lord had already placed.

1 Corinthians 2:5 says  "Your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God."  
Job 38:36  says  "Who endowed the heart with wisdom or gave understanding to the mind?"  
Luke 24:45 "Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures."
1 Corinthians 2:16 "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ."

After doubting God,  I would have no rest in my soul for weeks.  The Lord had provided and sent a teacher for her at my request, long before I requested.  The question now...is the teacher willing?  
Being the most anti-routine, A.D.D-ish, commitment phobic, person that I am, this did not go over well with my husband when presenting my case.  His concern was not my ability,  but my ability to commit to the job.   We devised a plan of accountability.  The decision was made to follow the footsteps of my sister using the same curriculum in case guidance was needed.   

The first 3 months.....sweet torture!  Starting a kindergarten program, it usually takes up only about 2-3 hours a day.  My flesh my crying out to do anything but repeat the same songs and letters everyday.  But once school was over for the day, we could hit the road!  I could teach her cooking, dishes, laundry....things she will use in the real world.  We could explore the world, go to the park,  or go swimming...do PE school.  Go to the zoo!  Whatever we could get our hands into!   The wonderful thing about homeschool is that the children not only learn what they would in a traditional school, but they also learn to do things that they will use in the practical world....plus God!  

Once I got over the 3 month commitment hump (or mountain),  and got over myself being inconvenienced, I began to harvest the fruits of what was being sewn.  The dynamic of our relationship has completely changed!  My daughter thinks I am the smartest person in the world!   When I see her doing addition problems, I know the Lord taught her through me.  Even Jesus in his suffering, brought such beauty.  Suffering by denying yourself for your children, brings such beauty and happiness to the soul!  It's an amazing reward that I want all to myself!  :)   She brings me so much joy!  

"The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame." Proverbs 29:15  



Jeramey and I at age 16:




2 comments:

  1. It's funny how you found Kindergarten sheer torture and Kelly said it was the most fun, although, took up way more time and first grade. I can see how singing the Antelope song AGAIN, might get to me after a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is fun that is true! That's why I said sweet torture...because there was some sweetness! :)

    ReplyDelete