Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A New Season

I just love change.  

Katie on the other hand is more her daddy's in that department.  :)  

So with the new grade and new changes, she has been a bit fearful. Being an adult, I have the understanding that a new grade is progression and not just a jumping in feet first to a new world. Remembering back to my childhood, my biggest fear was not knowing the teacher or the new kids.  Somewhere behind that was the fear of what would lie ahead educationally.  

Since Katie has the first 2 fears eliminated, she has expressed her fear to me of what lies ahead educationally.

I would say the grade change has her thinking a bit.  We were driving to the store and Katie said to me, "Mom, what happens after school?"  I said, "Well, you will get married and have children of your own; maybe college?  God will direct your next step and you will know what to do."   She said, "You mean go to another school where you are not my teacher?  I don't want to do that Mom!"   Reality settled in that I will be her teacher until the very end of school!  Ok, so now her fear has a domino effect!!  Yikes!   

Rewind back to the first grade!! :)   Today is her second day of first grade. We are beginning with a little ten week program called ABC's with Ace and Christi.  With this program, she will learn good foundation in forming letters and also other subjects.  Though my little artist can write away, I know it would not be wise to skip this step.  After she finishes these ten weeks, she will be able to read on her own.  Not just recognizing sight words, but she will have the ability to sound out words on her own.  This program is phenomenal in equipping children with a good foundation to read!   She is also learning how to work independently.  She has an accountability goal chart that I fill out at the beginning of the week instructing her of what pages and subjects to accomplish.  
Now, I had my own opinions about children working independently when I began homeschooling.  I felt it to be a negative because it seemed a lazy way to teach children.  To me, it put the teachers/moms involved less and the children more self learning.  But I do believe I was wrong! As adults, we have to be responsible and work at our own pace.  And aren't we always working on growing up?!  Unfortunately.  womp womp. :) 

At the end of the day I asked her how she felt about this new change and if all her fear was over nothing.  She said, "Mom, I miss you reading me the instructions while I answer but I really like doing it on my own too!"  

All in all, Katie is doing so great!  She makes me so proud everyday!  


Sweet Daddy! He'll be our Texas History Teacher soon! :) 




"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven"  Eccl 3:1

1 comment:

  1. Jeramey is such a wonderful father and husband! Lacey you are such a wonderful teacher for Katie! Katie you are so smart, so sweet, and so beautiful! We love y'all Mimi & Pawpaw

    ReplyDelete