Monday, October 7, 2013

Egg-citing News!






We got our very first egg!  I would have never egg-spected to feel so excited-like a little kid!
Yes, Katie enjoyed it too :)
 
The neatest part about all this is watching the chickens and learning their behavior. These chickens are not domestic...at all.  The only chicken that will let us touch her voluntarily is a young pullet (pullet=female-not laying).  So whenever we enter the coop, they run and hide under the nesting boxes.  From what we could tell, none of the hens or pullets had touched the nesting boxes .  The day before we got our first egg, we noticed one of the older pullets resting in the nest.  I touched her and she didn't budge.  I nudged her a little and she stood for me...but no egg!  After I walked off, she cackled loudly and passionately...as to get the point across!  I expected to see our first egg by morning.  And there it was!   

Here she is!





 
 "For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands; happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee" Psalms 128:2

No comments:

Post a Comment